The AARA is one of the associations involved in the new hail resilient roofing rebate program being launched by the City of Calgary on June 1, 2021. This will be a $3000 rebate available to eligible Calgarians affected by hail storms in 2020. One of the requirements to be eligible for this program is to have the class 4 hail resistant material installed roof inspected by a third party inspector who is a member of the AARA or ARCA. If the roof was completed by an AARA or ARCA member the roof will not require an inspection to be eligible for the rebate program.
This will be a 3 year program that will allow up to 660 homes impacted by 2020 hailstorms to be completed in the first year of the program. The City has allocated slightly over 2 million dollars in which eligible homeowners can apply for a $3000 rebate for installing hail-resistant roofing materials.
If you are interested in applying for the Resilient Roofing Rebate, apply here!
To view the Resilient Roofing and Hail Campaign Brochure, click here!
To check out our blog post on Hail and how to protect your home, click here!
Frequently asked questions
- The Resilient Roofing Rebate program incentivizes upgrades from standard roofing products to impact-resistant products to protect homes from severe weather damage. The rebate program is a three-year phased program that will begin on June 1, 2021. The first 7 months of the program will offer a $3,000 rebate for homeowners who experienced hail damage and replaced, or plan to replace, their roof with a certified Class 4 impact-resistant product. The rebate can be applied retroactively to eligible properties where impact-resistant roofing was installed between June 13, 2020 and June 1, 2021.
- I have proof that my roof was damaged from a hailstorm in 2020
- My property is a single-family, semi-detached or duplex home
- I am in good standing on my property tax roll
- I replaced (or plan to replace) my roofing with Class 4 rated roofing system that meets the impact rating for UL2218 (Underwriters Laboratories Inc.) or FM4473 (Factory Mutual Approvals)
- I have a receipt and proof of purchase (semi-detached properties require receipts for the full roof on both homes)
- I have a roof inspection report (if the work was not done by an AARA/ARCA member) and proof of purchase from an approved third-party roofing inspector, confirming proper product and installation for a roof-replacement.
AARA member roofing companies provide quality work and adhere to the strict requirements to be an AARA member and operate a permissible business in Alberta. Those requirements include:
- Generate the majority of annual income from providing roofing services
- Have a regional business license, including a city business license for a minimum of 5 years
- Carry a minimum of 2 million dollars liability insurance (will be annually reviewed and verified)
- Have a valid WCB number (will be annually reviewed and verified)
- Carry Torch-On Insurance if applicable (will be annually reviewed and verified)
- Install to the current Alberta Building Code as a minimum standard
- Be COR or SECOR certified (If not, complete the certification during the first year of membership while on probation)
- For Contractors: The AARA will conduct project observations, to determine if your workmanship meets Alberta Building Code.
The City has an eligibility tool available you can visit here https://forms.calgary.ca/content/forms/af/public/public/resilient-roofing-rebate.html
We would be happy to match you with a certified AARA roofing contractor that meets your need. You can contact us below! (in the contact form)