Alberta weather can take a toll on your home, especially the roof. You trust your shingles to hold up under the weight of winter, sleet, heavy rain, and wind. Hail seems less frequent, so its impact on your roof is often an afterthought. Experts say that needs to change. With shifting weather patterns and the inability to predict when and where hail will strike, it’s essential to be prepared.
Severe Weather Strikes Alberta
In 2021, The Insurance Bureau of Canada (ICB) put out a bulletin warning homeowners about an uptick in hailstorms. From 2010 to 2020, severe weather events hit Alberta more than any other region in Canada. Hail damage claims can be costly–running into the billions. Impact-resistant, class 4-rated shingles are the gold standard for protecting your home and your family.
Proven Protection Against Hail
Shingles are the first line of defence against the elements. Contractors and homeowners quickly realized shingles are not created equal. In 1966, the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS) developed an industry-standard testing protocol — UL 2218 — designed to mimic the impact of hail or other objects, then rated accordingly.
- Class 1 – Withstands two hits in the same spot by a 1.25 diameter steel ball
- Class 2 – Withstands two hits in the same spot by a 1.50 diameter steel ball
- Class 3 – Withstands two hits in the same spot by a 1.75 diameter steel ball
- Class 4 – Withstands two hits in the same spot by a 2.00 diameter steel ball
Roofing products rated class 4 are the best protection against hail. These materials are proven to hold up in harsh conditions. But that’s just a baseline for many companies. Manufacturers have developed their own specialized technology to safeguard against extreme heat and cold, mould and algae, and fire, all with an eye on curb appeal.
Roofing Materials Have Become High-Tech
As weather events become more extreme and material costs and insurance go up, companies have turned to technology to help set them apart from competitors. And Albertans are reaping the benefits. The Alberta Allied Roofing Association (AARA) works with suppliers and manufacturers that have stepped up their shingle game.
Malarkey: Performance, Sustainability and Style
Malarkey’s Legacy shingle features a proprietary industry-leading NEX® Rubberized Asphalt for superior performance. These best in class shingles feature:
- Rubberized shingles respond better to varying and extreme weather
- Synthetic rubber polymers add pliability and resilience to resistant impact and tears
- Legacy® Scotchgard™, featuring Scotchgard Protector™, resists algae and helps prevent streaks
- Enhanced durability and less waste, thanks to upcycled materials
- ‘Your Choice’ Warranty allows you flexibility to choose
Designed in the popular architectural style, and made with our industry-leading NEX® Rubberized Asphalt, Legacy® shingles deliver superior all-weather resilience, a Class 4 hail impact rating, and include granules that help clean the air of emission pollutants.
Euroshield: Your Roof – Covered in Style
Years of research and development has led to the creation of Euroshield’s unique formula, containing approximately 95% recycled materials, for the production of the world’s finest synthetic roofing products available on the market today. Highlights include:
- 4 unique and aesthetically pleasing shingle designs available in a variety of colors
- Sound deadening and insulating capabilities
- Durable, Walkable, Affordable and Long Lasting
- Maintenance free roofing that adds value to your home
- Hail Warranty and Transferable Limited Lifetime Warranty
All Euroshield® rubber roofs have achieved the highest rating, UL2218 Class 4 for Impact and are Listed and Labelled with QAI Labs (An accredited testing facility for the USA and Canada).
CertainTeed: Strength Plus Style
CertainTeed has developed NorthGate ClimateFlex. Highlights of these class 4 shingles include:
- Polymer-blended asphalt
- Offer the highest industry-rated enhanced protection against weather extremes
- Algae-resistant thanks to StreakFighter
- Come with a lifetime limited warranty.
- Multiple colour palettes available
They also created NailTrak, which helps ensure shingles are correctly installed, and industry-leading Quadro-Bond adhesive. CertainTeed’s designer shingles come in a variety of colours to help provide long-lasting curb appeal. Design your roof today with CertainTeed’s ColorView Visualizer.
BP Canada: Proven Performance
- Proprietary new generation polymer modified asphalt (SBS compound)
- Protected from UV degradation
- Resilient under weather extremes and stress
- Water infiltration resistant
- High Wind and Limited Lifetime Warranties
Vanguard shingles are offered in five colours and composed of an ultra-strong fiberglass mat coated on both sides with elastomeric modified asphalt and surfaced with mineral granules. The patented SBS compound significantly increases the shingle’s ability to retain its integrity under stress. You can so use BP’s visualization tool to design the perfect roof.
How Do I Know If I Have Class 4 Shingles?
Unfortunately, you can’t determine the class of a shingle by looking at it. Hiring a contractor you trust is crucial. You should be able to work with them to determine the right product for your roof. AARA has put together a searchable network of Alberta-based manufacturers and contractors. We can connect you with professionals who are not only knowledgeable but certified to properly install class 4-rated roofing materials. When not installed correctly, your roof could fail during a severe weather event, elevating the risk to your family and your home.
Give Alberta Allied Roofing Association a call at 1-877-765-0013, reach out via email at email@example.com, or fill out our online form, and we’ll be happy to help you find the right materials and contractors for your home.